Welcome

WELCOME- My name is Tyson Devereux. I grew up in the Boise/Meridian area. I chose to be a chiropractor because the chiropractors in my life were filled with passion and love - and I may not have known what chiropractic was - All I knew was that I wanted to have a career and life filled with the same love and passion and satisfaction helping others. I attended Parker University which was an amazing experience. It was a long journey and not only did a gain that love and passion I was seeking, but I came back with a message - a message of health and wellness.

I started this blog when I was just starting my journey through school. I plan to continue this blog now as a practicing doctor - to utilize this media to share my message to anyone willing to listen. I know this blog can or will be useful to anyone who desires to read it. I will try to post as frequently as I can. As well as, if there are any questions, please feel free to ask . . or even provide any addition answers or insight. So come and enjoy the fountain of knowledge, or just have fun feeding the fish.

My goal - To provide helpful information, to make it available to help one another, to take control of our lives, and to take back our Health


Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

More on ADD

I just wanted to share my experience today.  The President of the school, Fabrizio Mancini, had a contest for the students and one student would be picked to take his place for the day.  It just so happens that the student picked was my good friend, which there couldn't have been a better choice.  The exciting part was that the President was to attend his classes.  Today was the day.  It was a fun experience.  I joked about it, even before my friend got picked, but it was crazy to actually sit right next to and interact with the President like a student. He played the part well, dressed in a t-shirt and jeans and with a backpack.  He even came well prepared with a scantron- for the test we had first thing in the morning. I could sense some struggling on his part (I think he may even peeked a few times- jk).  It was fun.  I hope my friend survived his day of meetings.

I wanted to share a few things discussed today in class.  It's hard to just pick one, but I will have plenty more to write later.  In Neuro class we started discussing the part of the brain that secretes Serotonin.  In this discussion we learned that all information going to the brain has to go through a part called the Thalamus.  It receives all information and sends it to the different parts of the brain necessary.  There is a certain part of the Thalamus that inhibits, mainly in a normal setting telling the Thalamus to stop sending out the information.  If this part wasn't there, information would constantly be going to the brain without stopping.  It would be information overload.  Or some call it ADD.  Serotonin helps keep that part of the Thalamus functioning.  Those with low Serotonin levels don't activate that inhibitory part of the Thalamus, creating too much information to the brain, making it impossible for one to FOCUS.

What helps increase Serotonin- two answers were given
  1. Pain- This is important.  If there is any pain, one immediately becomes well aware, focused and alert due to release of Serotonin
  2. Activity- Movement is a big part.  There is a dramatic increase in ADD, especially in children.  It's not hard to see why.  What are kids activities these days?  The top of the list usually includes TV and video games.  And then they go to school and expect to sit in a desk for 7 hrs.  And the teacher and parents wonder why their kid can't concentrate.  If our activities include things that don't involve alot of motion and alertness, our brain is going to compensate and decrease the release of Serotonin.  No need to make it if we aren't going to use it.
I thought this information was very helpful in understanding the Neurological aspect of ADD.  Is it always the cause? My last post on this subject, I did give some factors to ADD.  Those do play a role as well, possibly triggering the decrease Serotonin levels. I did ask about Stress, in which he said he would lecture on it later, but stated that Stress plays an important role in ADD as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment