Welcome

WELCOME- My name is Tyson Devereux. I grew up in the Boise/Meridian area. I chose to be a chiropractor because the chiropractors in my life were filled with passion and love - and I may not have known what chiropractic was - All I knew was that I wanted to have a career and life filled with the same love and passion and satisfaction helping others. I attended Parker University which was an amazing experience. It was a long journey and not only did a gain that love and passion I was seeking, but I came back with a message - a message of health and wellness.

I started this blog when I was just starting my journey through school. I plan to continue this blog now as a practicing doctor - to utilize this media to share my message to anyone willing to listen. I know this blog can or will be useful to anyone who desires to read it. I will try to post as frequently as I can. As well as, if there are any questions, please feel free to ask . . or even provide any addition answers or insight. So come and enjoy the fountain of knowledge, or just have fun feeding the fish.

My goal - To provide helpful information, to make it available to help one another, to take control of our lives, and to take back our Health


Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Results

About two months ago, I decided to try the Health Questionnaire Appraisal and see the effects.  I took the questionnaire, which was categorized eleven groups with each one having several subgroups.  I felt healthy and I felt like I was in good condition and ate well. And I believe  the questionnaire shares the same results.  There was no big surprise.  In adding up the points and putting them on the graph, there weren't any that reached High Priority.  However, there were a handful that did enter into the Moderate Priority range with Adrenals and Dysglycemia being my two highest scores.  I was curious to see how changing my diet would effect these areas of concern.

I didn't have any High Priority marks, so I didn't feel any need to be real strict, but I did want to make an effort.  One thing I wanted to try was a Raw diet, eating all uncooked fruits, vegetables and nuts.  This was quite the experience.  Unfortunately, I didn't make it completely.  After the first day, I felt hungry, cold, and not well.  I knew there would be some symptoms as my body cleansed itself from the toxic chemicals as it replaced it with the proper nutrients, but I just didn't have the will power.  I still ate 90% raw, but my dinner had a small portion of some sort of prepare chicken.  I just needed something a little more solid at the end of the day.  However, the next couple days were interesting.  The raw vegetables that I often avoided began to actually be tasteful.  I often made smoothies with fruit (which I would usually would add sugar to sweeten it).  After a couple smoothies without any sugar added, the smoothies began to taste sweet on their own.  My body began to taste and even crave the natural flavors again.

After the week of eating raw, I wanted to introduce more healthy choices.  The next week, I bought all Whole Grain bread, pasta, and flour and replaced it with the regular pasta and flour in our meals.  The next week, I bought some Coconut Oil in which I blogged about and was very satisfied.  And last week, I bought some Stevia (a natural sugar from the Stevia plant) to replace regular sugar.  That is what it is all about.  I believe people look at changing their diet and read about what they should be eating and they get overwhelmed.  No one should dramatically replace their diet in a day, but do it little by little.  Try little things and see how they are, and stick with it and you try a little bit more.  There are some simple things that can help maintain a healthier diet.

  1. Incorporate more fruits and vegetables in each meal.  I have made a greater effort this last month to always take multiple fruits and vegetables for lunch, and make it a rule to eat my fruit and vegetables before anything else.  I haven't been perfect on that, but I have been eating my fruits and vegetables more often
  2. Change how you shop.  I think this is key, and I got this idea from my wife when she told me that she now spends more time in the produce section than anywhere else in the store.  I believe that is key.  To change our eating habits, we need to change what we eat.  To change what we eat, we need to change what is available in our home.  To change what is available, we need to change what we buy.  Spend more time in the produce section and bulk up on the fruits and vegetables, and then quickly pick up any accessory items.
  3. Learn about each fruit and vegetable.  This may be due to me taking Nutrition class, but I think it can help if someone puts the effort.  I know I have enjoyed the knowledge of what I am putting in my body.  This can be done one by one, learn about a certain fruit and as you eat it, review in your mind what nutritional benefit it has for you.  I think it is important in learning about a great variety of fruits and vegetables.  There are so many out there that people don't know about.  Go explore.
  4. Eat at home.  This will not only save you from the unhealthy food from eating out, but it can also save you money.  Also, this will help expand your knowledge of food and give you better control of healthy options.  I have enjoyed finding recipes that I would like to try and look to see what I can change to make it healthier.  I often make home made pizza on the weekend.  Not only has this saved us from the unhealthy take out pizza (We haven't ordered pizza for almost a year) but it gives me control of healthy options.  I have been adding more peppers and other vegetables as toppings, and two weeks ago I made it with Wheat flour which surprisingly the kids ate it up without knowing any difference.  Eating at home gives us great control of our healthy choices.
So after almost two months of trying different healthy options, what are the results?  I would like to post the graph some how, I will try to find out how, but I have retaken the questionnaire and the results are amazing.  The two main categories, Adrenals and Dysglycemiaimpact on the quality of our life.  Lets Get Back to Health

No comments:

Post a Comment