Welcome

WELCOME- My name is Tyson Devereux. I grew up in the Boise/Meridian area. I chose to be a chiropractor because the chiropractors in my life were filled with passion and love - and I may not have known what chiropractic was - All I knew was that I wanted to have a career and life filled with the same love and passion and satisfaction helping others. I attended Parker University which was an amazing experience. It was a long journey and not only did a gain that love and passion I was seeking, but I came back with a message - a message of health and wellness.

I started this blog when I was just starting my journey through school. I plan to continue this blog now as a practicing doctor - to utilize this media to share my message to anyone willing to listen. I know this blog can or will be useful to anyone who desires to read it. I will try to post as frequently as I can. As well as, if there are any questions, please feel free to ask . . or even provide any addition answers or insight. So come and enjoy the fountain of knowledge, or just have fun feeding the fish.

My goal - To provide helpful information, to make it available to help one another, to take control of our lives, and to take back our Health


Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Acid Reflux

Acid reflux, or also known as Heartburn or in the medical world as GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease) is a very common condition that hundreds and thousands have dealt with.  The reason for acid reflux is still unknown and the cause is debated.  Acid reflux is the loss of tone of the lower esophageal sphincter that connects to the stomach, in which stomach acid retracts up the esophagus causing the "heartburn" or a burning chest pain.  The medical world describes the condition as too much acid in the stomach, thus prescribing or suggesting antacids.  However, the mechanism indicates a sphincter issue rather than an acid issue.  I believe many relate Acid reflux with too much acid because in many cases it is associated with eating spicy foods.  But I would like to argue a different point.  The loss of tone in the sphincter may be more of a stress induced issue.

In our nervous system, we have the parasympathetic system that controls our visceral and other functions during rest and relaxation.  The sympathetic system controls these functions during times of stress.  Let me explain, if a bear was chasing you, would that be a stressful situation?  Now, at that moment would it be better to spend energy with your muscles and blood vessels to run, or would it be better to digest your food and slow down your heart? In stressful situations, our body functions how it needs to, thus digestion control is not the main focus.  If digestion is not being controlled, the parasympathetic system that controls the esophageal sphincter doesn't function - thus a dysfunction of the esophagus, creating a lack of tone allowing for the acid in the stomach to retract up.

So, what if we are not being chased by a bear - how is Acid reflux caused? Chronic stress can create the same scenario.  If we never allow the parasympathetic system to function (by always being stressed) then we lose the tone.  Many things can cause stress.  Often, Acid reflux is associated with weight gain, certain foods, alcohol, pregnancy, age (older), caffeine, a fatty diet, eating large meals, smoking, and certain medications.  When it comes to spicy foods, this is a short but direct stresser to the body.  Sweating is a sympathetic function, often accompanied with eating spicy foods, so therefore the parasympathetic is not functioning and the sphincter is loose. For older patients, it is best to check other conditions first such as peptic ulcers, esophageal cancer, or Barrett's esophagus which can lead to esophageal adenocarcinoma.

So how would I begin to treat a patient with Acid Reflux -

  1. Get Adjusted - Again, many of my treatments will include an adjustment, but I will do my best to back up my answers.  There are several different methods that can be done with an adjustment.  First, stress is a right minded issue and so adjusting segments on the right side of the body will activate the left side of the brain, thus re-establishing the balance and reduce the stress.  Second, adjusting certain segments of the body that are associated with the parasympathetics would help activate the parasympathetic system.  And third, there is a specific segment associated with the nerves that control the esophagus.  Usually adjusting the middle back will help with the condition.
  2. Relax - This is a stress issue, so it is best to find some relaxation and reduce that stress.  I'm not just talking about sitting on the couch in front of the TV, but to take time for yourself and truly de-stress
  3. Avoid the Stressers - Many people know what triggers their reflux.  These stressers need to be avoided.  However, many people don't realize that their weight or medications could be the cause as well.  Take note of the list of things that could be possible causes
  4. Apple Cider Vinegar - taking about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar has been shown to improve the condition. I have heard this a couple of times.  I would like to see how well it works, but it is highly recommended.  Again, this is not an acid issue.  In fact, it may be actually a lack of acid in this condition.  Because if proper digestion is altered, then acid is not being produced. 
  5. Change diet habits - Acid reflux is often associated with eating large meals and lying down.  Changing our diet habits can help by eating smaller frequent meals during the day.  Avoid lounging or lying down after meals.

2 comments:

  1. Well Said Tyson, I was told your blog is good, but now that I red my first I like to tell you your blog is Great.
    Regarding adding vinegar to the diet: you may only increase the Pt. acid intake after the G.I Ulcers are ruled out. I works very well, everyone I have tried this with been able to come off of anti acid meds. Best part Pt. will find after few weeks that they need less acid intake as parietal cells of stomach will once again learn to produce enough acid. **again before try this make sure you Do not have Ulcers, if you do, DO NOT try this method**
    Regarding parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) regulating cardiac sphincter, as we know eating (CN9), salivation (CN7), and Crying (3) increase PNS, assuming not crying during eating :) , other two will take place for sure (salivation and chewing, swallowing), so PNS is ON, and often pt. say: “ I usually get heartburn right after I eat or while I am eating” How should we explain that?!?! Hmmm!

    Hootan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patsy - it's about time you read my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your advice with the vinegar. I have heard of amazing results. My wife was just experiencing Heartburn. Chiropractic has helped reduce it, but she hasn't had it since taking the Apple Cider Vinegar (just one tsp).
    That is a good question. Eating is a prasympathetic (relaxing) activity. That is why people find comfort in eating. However, Acid Reflux is a sympathetic (stress) condition. So it is confusing. My response to that is it depends on what we eat and how we eat. Often "heartburn" occurs or is associated with Spicy foods. The Spice creates a mini stress condition. Certain foods can create such conditions - including mint, alcohol or caffeine. Also, "heartburn" is often experienced after eating a large amount. Over eating can be a stresser to the body. So, even though eating is a comforting activity, it can be stressful depeding on what we eat and how we eat. It's like talking. Talking can be therapeutic, however, if we talk to someone who is always causing drama - it can be frustrating and counterproductive. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete