Welcome

WELCOME- My name is Tyson Devereux. I grew up in the Boise/Meridian area. I chose to be a chiropractor because the chiropractors in my life were filled with passion and love - and I may not have known what chiropractic was - All I knew was that I wanted to have a career and life filled with the same love and passion and satisfaction helping others. I attended Parker University which was an amazing experience. It was a long journey and not only did a gain that love and passion I was seeking, but I came back with a message - a message of health and wellness.

I started this blog when I was just starting my journey through school. I plan to continue this blog now as a practicing doctor - to utilize this media to share my message to anyone willing to listen. I know this blog can or will be useful to anyone who desires to read it. I will try to post as frequently as I can. As well as, if there are any questions, please feel free to ask . . or even provide any addition answers or insight. So come and enjoy the fountain of knowledge, or just have fun feeding the fish.

My goal - To provide helpful information, to make it available to help one another, to take control of our lives, and to take back our Health


Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Motion is Life!

I've been at Board Reviews all weekend, and I have been thinking of some topics to try and write about, and then it all started to flood- so get ready! One major theme that keeps coming up is how important Motion is and then I remembered the quote, "Motion is Life".  Seems important enough

I will try not to get too neurological on you all (or in Texas- ya'll).  I'll try to keep it as simple as I can.  The brain is a very complex, misunderstood and under appreciated organ.  But basically it is split up into 4 major parts. There is the very back and bottom part called the Cerebellum which is your unconscious function, controlling all the things you don't even think about doing.  There is the middle/back area responsible for sensory (sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch).  There is the front part called the Frontal Lobe which is your Thinking and Behavior. And there is the deeper part of the brain called the "Old Brain"  or known as the Limbic System which is more responsible for Emotion and Memory.  The cool part about understanding these different parts is that they all have their checks and balances and knowing how they effect one another.

The Limbic System or "Old Brain" is our animal instincts, our primal function.  This is the "What we want to do".  The Frontal Lobe is the "What we should do".  This part of the brain is our behavior modifier, controlling our primitive impulses and creating our Right and Wrong.  This is what we witness with those who are drunk and lose all control of right and wrong.  Alcohol dampens the Frontal Lobe and their control of the Limbic System is weakened and we often see poor judgement and unchecked actions.  But what feeds and supports the Frontal Lobe?  Our sensory input supports our Frontal Lobe.  We see this often with children, usually when they sit around the house all day and they become whiny.  Their lack of sensory input weakens the Frontal Lobe which then manifests in primitive, whiny behavior = Acting out. (Sadly we act the same as adults too)

So now we begin to see the connections.  Our sensory helps with our behavior and thinking which then helps with our ability to make good decisions.  But this goes way beyond understanding the unapproved behavior of a drunk or why my kid won't stop crying.  This is the same connection in which we begin to see bigger problems manifested as ADD, ADHD, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and other neurological degradations.  These are the same disorders we see with people who are mentally disturbed and found on the news for going on a killing spree.  As a society, we are lacking in our sensory input.  We sit at desks all day.  We sit in front of the TV.  Kids sit and play video games.  We partake in activities and tasks that require us to no longer Think (the function of our Frontal Lobe).

90% of our sensory input comes from our joint position= MOTION.  Puts a whole new emphasis on the phrase- Motion is Life.  It truly is, it truly is a matter of life and death.  If we stop moving, we die.  Motion increases our brain function and brain health.  This is why we see a child playing sports doesn't manifest ADD.    This is why a patient with Parkinson's riding a bike no longer has any symptoms.  This is why an elderly person who stays active is healthy compared to one who sits at a home all day speedily and dramatically declining in their brain function.

Exercise, Exercise, Exercise.  It is essential.  But it is more than that.  It is making sure the body is capable of full motion.  It is vital to make sure the spine and joints of the body are freely moving.  Not only can a fixed and non free joint reduce motion, but can interfere with other sensory impulses to the brain.  Adding 20 jumping jacks to our daily routine can make a significant difference to our Health- to our Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment